Murder and Matchmaking

Murder and Matchmaking
A novel mashup of Sherlock Holmes and Pride & Prejudice

Friday, September 18, 2009

Kiwi Writers' Challenge - Zing Thing


I started my Zing Thing challenge last night and got the first 600 words done, finished the first draft today. It was heaps of fun and writing the story has made me nostaglic for Harajuku. My first draft ended up a bit longer than expected - 3000 words or so. Looks like some whittling will be required in the edit. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It kind of reminded me of the 48 hour film competition with the various elements that had to be included. I suspect it will be a lot of the fun to see how the other writers used these elements in their stories. The Zing Thing elements were: 1. Genre = Science Fiction 2. First Line = "In the beginning..." 3. Last Line = "He/she watched the last ship until it was out of sight." 4. Name = The Fix 5. Character Quirk = Facial tic 6. Object = A pearl necklace 7. Phrase = "Hey babe, let me bless you with my holy waters, if you know what I mean."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it - we were trying a new format in the hopes of getting more people participating. Was so great to see new faces enjoying it :-)

Matt said...

I loved it too! As I mentioned in the forum the line was quite hard to fit into the idea I had, but working with constraints like that is great fun and I really like where the elements took me :-)